Pages

Subscribe:

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Adios La Jagua and Rancho Baiguate

Buenos Dias from Rancho Baiguate.  We woke up to yet another beautiful day, for this, our last morning in Jarabacoa.  Yesterday was non-stop for the group, beginning with another early morning, productive work in La Jagua, an informative tour of the community by Polibio (formerly referenced to as Bolivio in the first post), a language exchange at a local university with students studying English, and a final reflection around the bonfire last night.  While we are all excited to head for the Bateyes, leaving La Jagua and Jarabacoa is of course bitter sweet.  Though we were only here for two and a half days, we are proud of the work we accomplished and, perhaps more importantly, grateful for the connections we have made with the community that have impacted us all in numerous ways.  I'll let Ashleigh and Helena elaborate:

After quickly falling asleep on Madeline's shoulder during the bus ride to La Jagua, we began our second full day of work. I will admit, I was pretty exhausted at the beginning. However, hiking to our digging location with the numerous community members made it so easy to get the energy to help. By the second day we were all already so comfortable around each other. We talked (attempted to anyway), we laughed, we helped one another. Looking down the long span of the trench, community members and members from our group were staggered, everyone helping the other. Honestly, it was an amazing feeling that I do not think I could have felt anywhere but here. This opportunity has made me realize not only how much we are helping them, but how much they are doing for us. With "island time," everything seems stress free, even while working. The people here really are the epitome of "carpe diem." Experiencing life without our iphones, computers, and televisions, I personally have realized how much unnecessary stress we put on ourselves. Without being reminded constantly of your stresses and problems, it is easier to be at peace. This trip has really shown me, already in only the four days we have been here, that life goes on. We make things too hard for ourselves. We dwell on the past and the future, barely taking time to actually take advantage of today. I now understand that I need to focus more on what is happening today; how I can help other people, today; how I can make a difference, today, because nothing else really matters. It sounds cliche, I know, and I doubt I could count how many people have tried to place this wisdom upon me, but this feeling is something that needs to be experienced to fully comprehend and believe it. And for the communities here that have shown me this, I am forever grateful. I can not wait to see what else I can learn in the few more days we have here in the Dominican Republic.  - Ashleigh '14


Today was an exciting day for all of us even though we were all very sore and tired. We barely had enough energy to pick up pick-axes and shovels to work. Seeing the people of La Jagua's happy faces and their excitement to help us with the project, I gained energy, and started by helping to shovel the soil back in the ditch. I was elated when I saw the pipes in the ditch and the soil back in place because I now know that the rest of La Jagua will have running water. Helping La Jagua made me realize that I have a blessed life. When I walk into my bathroom, I have clean, running water all the time. I am currently attending a nice school. Only a portion of the people living in greater La Jagua finally had access to running water as of last August (aqueduct project from last year's trip was completed in August in a different part of the community). Only 40% of the kids in La Jagua attend high school because they have to help with their parents in order to have enough money to survive. We complain about small things everyday, such as bombing a test or not looking attractive. Honestly, we should not complain about these things. The type of problems that the kids in La Jagua have are if they are able to have food on their table and if they are able to attend high school. These are serious problems, but when you look into their faces, they are always smiling and enjoying their life. They are living their moment and happy with what they have. This made me realize that I should be thankful for everything that I have. ~Helena '15

We leave for the Bateyes at 9 AM and we will arrive in San Pedro de Macoris in time for a late lunch at the volunteer center that will be our new home until Sunday.  Moving forward, we are unsure as to how reliable our access to the internet will be but we will try to post as much as we can.  Until then, we hope you enjoy some more pictures from yesterday.  Hasta Luego!

Pipe in the trench
Group Shot at dig site


Lynn connecting a pipe



Filling in the trench
Polibio thanking the group

A tour of La Jagua

A traditional Dominican stove

Nelo preparing the land to plant peppers

Group shot at Polibio's house

Language exchange

Lexi helping a student with his English

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you obtain an internet connection at your new location. Good to hear your voice today. -Madeline's Parents

Post a Comment